At home we’re lucky enough to have a Technivorm Moccamaster, the same model we use at the cafe. We dont actually serve any hand brewed coffees at the cafe as I don’t think you can beat the consistency and ease of use of a batch brewer in a busy cafe.
To make 1L of coffee, you will need
- 60g of fresh single origin coffee.
- 1L of filtered water
- Filter paper for your brewer
- Your fave mug
1) Start off by filling the water tank with 1L of filtered water. We use a Brita filter at home.
2) Fold your filter paper, place into the basket and rinse to remove and papery tastes.
3) Weigh out and grind your coffee to a bulgar wheat size grind. We use the last ‘s’ on the French Press setting on our Wilfa at home. Pop your ground coffee into the holder and place the whole basket into the holder.
4) Push your thermal carafe (or glass jug) into place and switch the brewer on.
5) I like to bloom the coffee by pulling the carafe away after say the first 10-20 seconds of the brew, letting the bubbles settle and then putting back into place to continue the brew.
6) Around half way I like to stir or swirl the coffee crust surface gently. This ensures and even brew and a flat bed.
7) Once your brew has finished, pull that jug out, pour yourself a cup and leave a few minutes to cool before slurping.